The Parish of Clifton lies 2.5 miles south of Penrith in Cumbria on the A6. The parish consists of Clifton Village which hugs the main A6 road for about three quarters of a mile and Clifton Dykes which is a hamlet on the Cliburn Road together with some surrounding farms
The parish is situated near to the Eden Valley, with wonderful views of the Pennines to the east and the Lakeland Fells dominated by Blencathra to the west.
Clifton Moor was the site of a battlefield on 18 December 1745, the last time two armies clashed on English soil It was here that the Duke of Cumberland’s army caught up with Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Highlanders on their retreat from Derby. The battle lasted around half an hour and about a dozen men were killed on each side. The ‘45 Jacobite uprising ended with the “Battle of Culloden” four months later